As North Shore residents, it feels like we are always waiting for the next winter storm to hit. For many Massachusetts residents driving on crowded highways and icy roads during a snow storm is a necessary part of the daily commute. At Sterling Insurance Agency we want to do our part to make sure our clients are prepared to endure the winter storms ahead. Here are some Safe Driving Tips for the Winter Months to consider…
- Avoid driving during the worst part of the storm. If possible, only travel during daylight hours and stay on main roads instead of taking shortcuts.
- Clear snow and ice from windows, lights, the hood, and the roof before driving.
- Leave plenty of room for stopping.
- Don’t try to out drive the conditions. Remember the posted speed limits are for dry pavement.
- Brake early and correctly. It takes more time and distance to stop in adverse conditions.
- Exit ramps sometimes have less anti-icing material than the main line. Be aware of this when exiting the highway.
- Many 4×4 vehicles are heavier than passenger vehicles. This means it takes longer to stop than passenger vehicles. Don’t get overconfident in your 4×4 vehicle. Be wary of your 4×4 vehicle’s traction.
- Look further ahead in traffic than normal.
- Trucks are heavier than cars, making their brake time slower. Avoid cutting quickly in front of them.
- Don’t crowd the plow. Stay back at least 200 feet and don’t pass on the right.
- Remember to slow down and always wear your seat belt.
- Drive with your headlights on at all times to see and be seen.
To ensure you are adequately covered when driving in dangerous conditions, and to avoid costly auto claims for minor to major accidents – give us a call at 978-922-6600 and speak with one of our friendly Licensed Agents. Our insurance agency, located in Downtown Beverly, currently has our doors closed to the public and are operating by appointment only, but look forward to your call to make sure you feel as safe as possible navigating these hazardous winters.
For even more tips please visit the link below: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/safe-winter-driving-tips