Driving in the cold winter weather can be challenging, add in winter storms, cold and icy weather and it can be downright treacherous. During this time of year especially, we encourage everyone to make sure to prepare their vehicle properly in case of an emergency. In addition to regular auto maintenance we have outlined a few checks to make before heading out into the harsh Massachusetts winter weather.
- Charge your cell phone and keep a car charger for emergencies.
- Always fill the gas tank before a long trip or even for a short distance. Keeping your tank full may prevent condensation.
- Clear all windows and lights of frost and snow.
- Ensure that your headlights are on.
- Stock your car with basic winter driving equipment.
- Warm your car battery ahead of time if possible, as the battery can provide a lot more power when warm. You can warm the battery by using a battery wrap or blanket when the battery is removed from the car.
In addition to making sure your vehicle is maintained we recommend preparing yourself with supplies such as:
- Jumper cables
- Snow shovel and scraper
- Windshield scraper and brush
- Extra windshield washer fluid and antifreeze
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Flares or reflectors
- Brightly colored cloth to use as a flag
- Sand, road salt, strips of carpet, or kitty litter for traction
- Tire chains or traction mats
- Tow rope
- Cloth or paper towels
- Fire extinguisher
- Basic tool kit (pliers, wrench, screwdriver)
- Road maps
Lastly, is the necessity of Emergency Supplies that will keep you and your passengers safe while on the snow or ice.
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Extra clothing: mittens, parka, and overshoes or boots
- High calorie, non-perishable foods
- Basic first aid kit
- Necessary medications
- Pocket knife
- Manual can opener
- Container of water
Before the next Winter storm, we want to make sure our friends on the North Shore area feel safe maneuvering through these storms. As always if you need assistance, and want to ensure that your auto policy is up to date, please don’t hesitate to give Sterling Insurance Agency a call at 978-922-6600. You can also make appointments at our office in downtown Beverly, located at 306 Cabot Street, we are here to help you with all your insurance needs.
For more information on preparing your vehicle for Winter weather, check out this link: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/prepare-your-vehicle-for-winter-driving