As North Shore residents, it feels like we are always waiting for the next winter storm to hit. For many Massachusetts residents driving on crowded highways and icy roads during a snow storm is a necessary part of life. At Sterling Insurance Agency we want to do our part to make sure our clients are prepared to endure the winter storms ahead and any dangers that may occur. Here are some Safe Driving Tips for the Winter Months to consider if you are stranded while driving in the winter.
First and foremost, if you are able to – call 911 when stranded. As part of the Winter Weather Driving series Mass DOT has proposed the following as the best way to keep safe in this dangerous situation:
- Prioritize keeping warm and safe.
- Describe your location, conditions of your companions and your issues.
- Listen for questions, follow any instruction.
- Stay in your vehicle.
- Walking in a storm can be very dangerous, especially if you lose your way.
- Avoid overexertion, such as trying to push your car or shoveling snow.
- You could risk heart attack or other injury.
- Sweaty, wet clothing loses insulation and makes you more susceptible to hypothermia.
- Don’t run the engine unless the exhaust pipe is free of snow or other objects.
- Freezing-wet or wind-driven snow can plug your vehicle’s exhaust system.
- This can cause deadly carbon monoxide gas to enter your vehicle.
- Keep the radiator free from snow to prevent the engine from overheating.
- Run the engine at 10 minute intervals for heat.
- Only turn on the dome light at night when you are running the engine.
- Loosen tight clothes to keep blood circulating.
- Make yourself visible to rescuers.
- Tie a bright cloth to your antenna or door handle.
To ensure you are adequately covered when driving in dangerous conditions, and to avoid costly auto claims for minor to major accidents – give us a call at 978-922-6600 and speak with one of our friendly Licensed Agents. Our insurance agency, located in Downtown Beverly, currently has our doors open to the public but wearing masks and keeping safe social distance. We look forward to your call to make sure you feel as safe as possible navigating these hazardous winters.
For even more tips please visit the link below: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/in-case-you-are-stranded-while-driving-in-the-winter